Hello there! We're so glad you're here. If you're an Accutane user, you might be experiencing some dryness and chapping on your lips. Don't worry, we've got you covered with these 10 lip care tips that are safe and natural for your sensitive skin. Let's get started!
1.) Drink plenty of water:
Did you know that staying hydrated is key to keeping your lips moisturized? That's right, drinking plenty of water is the first step to healthy lips. So, grab your favorite water bottle and make sure to sip throughout the day!
3.) Avoid licking your lips
One of the things to avoid while taking care of your lips is licking them. Saliva can actually dry out your lips, making them even more chapped. So, resist the urge to lick and keep them moisturized with our safe and natural lip balm.
How to stop licking your lips
Licking your lips is a common habit, especially when they feel dry or chapped. However, this can actually make the problem worse by removing the natural oils from your lips and causing further dryness and irritation. To break the habit of licking your lips, try applying a hydrating lip balm regularly throughout the day to keep your lips moisturized and prevent them from feeling dry or chapped. You can also try carrying a water bottle with you to stay hydrated, as dehydration can contribute to dry lips. If you find yourself licking your lips out of habit, try to become more mindful of when you do it and consciously redirect your attention elsewhere, such as by chewing gum or using a stress ball. With a little patience and persistence, you can break the habit of licking your lips and keep them healthy and moisturized.
3.) Use a humidifier
A humidifier is a great investment for anyone dealing with dry skin or chapped lips. Not only does it add moisture to the air, but it can also help you breathe easier. Plus, it's a great way to create a cozy atmosphere in your home.
4.) Avoid harsh lip products
At our brand, we believe that natural and safe ingredients are the best choice for healthy skin. That's why we always recommend avoiding harsh lip products that can dry out your lips even more. Stick with gentle, skin-safe options instead.
Ingredients to avoid For Sensitive Skin
When it comes to lip products for sensitive skin, it's important to be aware of ingredients that can cause irritation and dryness. Here are some ingredients to avoid:
- Fragrances: Synthetic fragrances can be irritating to sensitive skin, so it's best to choose fragrance-free lip products.
- Dyes: Artificial dyes can also cause irritation and should be avoided in lip products for sensitive skin.
- Menthol and camphor: These ingredients can cause a tingling sensation on the lips, which can be uncomfortable for those with sensitive skin.
- Salicylic acid: This ingredient is often used in lip products to exfoliate the lips, but it can be too harsh for those with sensitive skin.
- Retinol: While retinol can be beneficial for anti-aging, it can also cause irritation and dryness, especially in those with sensitive skin.
- Peppermint oil: This ingredient is often used to give a cooling sensation on the lips, but it can be irritating for those with sensitive skin.
5.) Use a gentle lip scrub
Exfoliating your lips can be a great way to keep them healthy and moisturized.
DIY Lip Scrub For Sensitive Lips Recipe
However, with a few simple ingredients, you can make your own DIY lip scrub at home that is safe and gentle for sensitive skin. Here's how:
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp brown sugar
In a small bowl, mix together the coconut oil and honey until well combined.
Add the brown sugar to the mixture and stir until the scrub is evenly blended.
Gently massage the scrub onto your lips in a circular motion for about 30 seconds.
Rinse your lips with warm water and pat them dry with a soft towel.
Follow up with a hydrating lip balm to keep your lips moisturized.
6.) Apply lip balm frequently
Applying lip balm frequently throughout the day is crucial for keeping your lips moisturized. Make sure to keep a tube of our natural lip balm in your pocket or purse so you can reapply whenever you need to.
The Best Lip Balms for Sensitive Lips
Sensitive lips can be easily irritated by harsh ingredients, which is why it's important to choose lip balms that are gentle and safe. Here are some of the best lip balms for sensitive lips:
- Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm: Made with natural beeswax, this lip balm is free of harsh chemicals and fragrances that can irritate sensitive skin.
- Aquaphor Lip Repair: This lip balm contains nourishing ingredients like shea butter and chamomile to soothe and moisturize dry, cracked lips.
- Vaseline Lip Therapy: This classic lip balm is gentle and non-irritating, making it a great choice for those with sensitive skin.
- Dr. Bronner's Organic Lip Balm: Made with organic ingredients like jojoba oil and beeswax, this lip balm is free of synthetic fragrances and harsh chemicals.
- CeraVe Healing Ointment: This hydrating ointment contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid to provide long-lasting moisture and protection for sensitive lips.
- Sun Bum Lip Balm: This lip balm contains SPF 30 to protect your lips from the sun's harmful UV rays, and is free of irritating fragrances and dyes.
By choosing one of these gentle and safe lip balms, you can keep your lips moisturized and healthy without risking any irritation or discomfort.
7.) Look for moisturizing ingredients
When it comes to choosing a moisturizer for your lips, look for ingredients that are known for their moisturizing properties. Beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil are all great options that will leave your lips feeling soft and hydrated.
Hydrating Ingredients Safe for Sensitive skin
When it comes to hydrating ingredients that are safe for sensitive skin, there are several options to choose from. Nickelle Cosmetics' Hydra Lip Gloss contains brown algae and golden seaweed, which are known for their collagen-stimulating properties and ability to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Other safe and hydrating ingredients to look for include shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil, which are all gentle on the skin and provide long-lasting hydration.
Hyaluronic Acid Alternatives for Sensitive Skin
For those with sensitive lips, it's important to be cautious when it comes to using certain ingredients like hyaluronic acid, which can cause irritation. Instead, there are many natural alternatives that are safe and gentle for sensitive skin. Aloe vera, shea butter, and vitamin E are all hydrating ingredients that can provide many of the same benefits as hyaluronic acid without the risk of irritation. It's also a good idea to consult with a dermatologist or skincare professional to determine the best lip care products and ingredients for your specific skin type and concerns.
8.) Choose a fragrance-free option
Fragrances can be irritating to sensitive skin, which is why we always recommend choosing a fragrance-free lip balm or moisturizer.
Fragrance Free Lip Products
- La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Lips: This lip balm is formulated with nourishing ingredients like shea butter and glycerin, and is free of fragrances and parabens.
- Vanicream Lip Protectant: This lip balm is specially formulated for sensitive skin, and is free of fragrances, dyes, and other potential irritants.
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Lip Moisturizer: This fragrance-free lip balm contains glycerin and castor seed oil to provide long-lasting hydration for dry, sensitive lips.
- Eucerin Aquaphor Lip Repair: This lip balm contains nourishing ingredients like shea butter and chamomile, and is free of fragrances, dyes, and preservatives.
- Aveeno Active Naturals Essential Moisture Lip Conditioner: This fragrance-free lip balm is made with natural ingredients like jojoba oil and shea butter, and is gentle enough for sensitive skin.
9.) Try a thicker formula
For extra protection against dryness and chapping, try using a thicker lip balm or ointment. Our natural lip gloss is made with a rich, moisturizing formula that will provide long-lasting hydration for your lips
10.) Consider a medicated option
If you're experiencing particularly dry or cracked lips, a medicated lip balm might be the right choice for you.
Contact your dermatologist for recommendations!
In conclusion, taking care of your lips while on Accutane is crucial to preventing discomfort and irritation. By drinking plenty of water, avoiding harsh lip products, and choosing a moisturizing lip balm or ointment with gentle, skin-safe ingredients, you can keep your lips healthy and moisturized throughout your Accutane treatment.